Publishing and Marketing Manager - 75007
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Since its inception in 2003, the Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR) has grown to become the leading media group in the field of social innovation. Through its award-winning magazine, website, webinars, conferences, social media, and podcasts the SSIR media group reaches hundreds of thousands of people monthly. Its audience includes leaders from nonprofit organizations, foundations, business, academia, and government from around the world. SSIR is published by the Stanford Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society (Stanford PACS).
The publishing and marketing manager reports to the publisher, and works closely with the publishing and marketing associate. The manager will focus on
generating revenue for the SSIR media group (earned income from subscriptions, conferences, webinars, licensing, sponsorship, advertising, permissions, bulk sales and reprints) and oversee the use of SSIRs brand and sub-brands across its internal marketing channels and external partner relationships.
The managers primary responsibilities include:
1) manage SSIR media groups marketing and promotion activities, including its audience growth and email marketing strategy
2) grow SSIRs customer base for sales of editorially-centric products (including print and digital subscriptions)
3) head event operations, including programming and audience development; and
4) oversee external sales representatives and direct sales of print, digital, and integrated advertising and sponsorship programs on SSIRs channels.
The publishing and marketing manager hires and manages two part-time interns, and guides the publishing and marketing associate in many areas.
- Audience Development & Customer Acquisition: Drive SSIR awareness among targeted core and halo audience segments (upper-funnel) and develop conversion methods (lower-funnel). Make circulation/audience recommendations to publisher based on analysis of SSIR subscriber and market data. Direct relationship with circulation fulfillment vendor and circulation marketing consultant. Review renewal efforts from circulation marketing consultant quarterly and revise as needed. Review subscription strategies (including institutional and agency subscriptions) annually with SSIR publisher and publishing associate, and revise as needed. Oversee new/renewed institutional and agency subscriptions to ensure performance versus targets, update institutional/agency rate forms annually and monitor onboarding process of new customers by publishing associate. Monitor incoming customer service inquiries and intercede as needed. Oversee special circulation and audience-development projects.
- Events Planning and Management: Manage all aspects of conference operations and logistics. Assist SSIR publisher and managing editor with program development and audience development. Secure sponsors and implement deliverables of sponsor agreements. Contract with and manage relationships with outside vendors including venue, A/V, and catering for 2-3 conferences a year (paid attendance per conference is 250+). Responsible for budget planning and adherence. Work as on-site event manager. Create and manage events microsites and past event pages on ssir.org. Plan and manage implementation of integrated promotional campaign through SSIR print ads, email marketing, and social media, with primary goal of increasing registration revenue. Manage development of all event collateral, including event apps and printed materials. Assist editorial team with creation of event videos and podcasts via third-party vendors. Develop post-conference survey, which is deployed by publishing associate to attendees. Work with interns to complete post-conference activities, including analysis and reporting of survey data and necessary follow-up with speakers.
- Brand Management, Marketing, and Promotions: First line of approval of marketing materials across all channels that use the SSIR brand and sub-brands, including email marketing and social media. Manage a complex promotions/marketing schedule and activities for SSIR media group with more than 100 e-blasts and 7 million sends annually, including enewsletter, webinars, conferences, and subscriptions. Select (with editorial input) content and timing of emails. Guide the publishing associate to ensure all newsletter, events, and circulation email and marketing is executed as planned. Negotiate annual rates with email service provider. Direct email marketing performance analyses (updated regularly by marketing interns) to monitor the effectiveness and health of SSIRs email marketing program, and work to improve open rate, click-through rate, and other KPIs. Write or approve social media promotions for all of SSIR media groups revenue-generating products. Supervise publishing and marketing associates and marketing interns social media work. Work with SSIRs senior digital editor and web developer to enhance and improve functionality of marketing-related pages on ssir.org. Hire web developer for marketing-oriented projects and manage from RFP to implementation, or delegate such projects to publishing associate as needed. With publisher and editorial team input, develop subscriber/audience surveys, and oversee execution. Travel outside of California approximately 4x per year to represent SSIR at events and prospect for advertising.
- Advertising and Sponsorship: Manage SSIRs ad sales program. Responsible for driving revenue from print, digital, and integrated advertising sales. Create new, and maintain existing, relationships with advertisers to establish repeat sales. Create marketing material to support sales efforts. Manage Salesforce database to organize advertiser contacts and sales opportunities. Oversee deployment of ads across SSIRs channels in weekly enewsletter, on website, and in quarterly print edition (preflight and upload final print ads to printers website). Manage relationship with SSIRs external ad sales rep firm. Sell sponsorships of SSIR events. Secure sponsors of dedicated emails that provide relevant products/services to SSIRs audience. Secure underwriters for sponsored SSIR Live! webinars. Cultivate sponsored supplement leads for editorial team. Maintain SSIR media kit.
- Strategic Partnerships: Secure new and renew in-kind trade agreements with strategic partners (conference organizers, media companies, others) to increase SSIR visibility among targeted audience segments, increase brand awareness, and grow customer base. Manage partner relationships, including outbound deployment of SSIRs materials to partners and inbound partner deliverables across SSIRs channels as determined in partner agreement. Identify and recommend new potential partners to publisher.
- Recommend and execute marketing strategies to meet business objectives.
- Manage marketing plans/programs to meet business objectives, including collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners.
- Implement integrated marketing communications and brand strategy, across a variety of channels (i.e., digital and print).
- Oversee design and production of marketing materials from inception to deployment.
- Conduct market research, including competitive benchmarking, and analyze program/event effectiveness used to inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting.
- Assess market opportunities and track market trends. Recommend marketing improvements based on findings.
- Plan and execute events to support marketing objectives.
- Manage vendors/consultants on specific projects.
- Manage project/program budget(s) and coordinate invoice processing.
- May oversee interns and other contingent staff; provide staff training.
- * - Other duties may also be assigned.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous experience in product, program and/or services marketing.
- Ability to drive cross-functional groups toward a common goal.
- Experience with project management and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understands how to implement integrated marketing programs across channels including digital and print.
- Experience with market research and data analysis.
- Demonstrated problem solver.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum five years of experience in consumer marketing or B2B marketing, preferably in the media or related industry.
- Significant skill and experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud (formerly Exact Target), Salesforce CRM, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator), Content Management Systems (WordPress, Expression Engine), Microsoft Office, and Google Analytics. Social media used in a professional setting (like Hootsuite). Basic HTML programming.
- Experience having developed, crafted, executed, and tracked results of online marketing efforts.
- Advertising or related sales experience.
- Experience juggling multiple deadlines and changing priorities, while maintaining a high attention to detail.
- Experience in a customer-facing and client-facing role.
- Strong interest in social change demonstrated through past jobs or volunteer activities.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Humanities and Sciences
Job Code: 4893