This position will serve as the Erie Taste NY Market Store Clerk and will work under the day-to-day direction and supervision of the Taste NY Market Manager and/or Taste NY Assistant Market Manager. Primary responsibilities include assisting with management of inventory, operation of cash register, cash controls, transportation of inventory to the store, customer service, food service and record keeping. On a daily basis, the store clerk will inspect the store for cleanliness, organization and refill supplies as needed. The clerk is expected to discuss Erie County agriculture and local foods with customers to engage them in these areas and to provide information upon request about the food and farm products sold in the store.
This is a one-year grant funded position. Position may require travel to Taste NY Market locations in the Western New York Welcome Center on Grand Island and the Exchange Street Train Station in downtown Buffalo as assigned by Supervisor.
* High School Diploma or equivalent education. * Ability to clearly communicate (speak, read and write proficiently) in English. * Ability to complete basic math functions in a fast-paced environment. * Ability and willingness to work with diverse public audiences and maintain cultural sensitivity. * Attention to detail. * Ability to operate or learn to operate a cash register. * Must be able to drive personal or Association vehicle for pick-up and delivery of product. Handcart or dolly may be used for transportation purposes. * Ability to lift 20lbs to 50lbs regularly with or without reasonable accommodation. * Ability to transport/move supplies and equipment, climb stairs with or without reasonable accommodation. * Ability to use or learn to use Microsoft Word and Excel. * Valid NYS Driver's License and the ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position (including travel to the Grand Island and downtown Buffalo Taste NY Market locations). * Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate. * Familiarity with windows-based software including use of internet-based communications and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, and Excel. * Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and tactfully through verbal, written and electronic methods. * Ability and willingness to work with a high degree of integrity, accuracy, organization, sound professional judgment, and the ability to handle confidential, sensitive information. * Ability to follow procedures and written instructions.
* One (1) year retail sales experience. * Experience working in customer service and retail environments. * Understanding of basic marketing. * Ability to handle multiple tasks. * Proficiency with internet based communications. * Knowledge of the organization, operation, philosophy and objectives of Cooperative Extension. * Knowledge of agriculture and agricultural practices.
Administrative Coordination/Operation - 95%
* Customer service - greets, assists and serves the needs of store customers. * Store inspection, organization and recordkeeping. Must assist in maintaining a clean facility. * Cash Controls - follow all procedures for proper management and handling of cash. * Replenishment of store supplies and inventory. Track product inventory. * Receive and log scheduled deliveries. * Assist with promotion of agri-tourism in Erie County. * Describe the local farms, produce, food and products displayed. * Maintain equipment, troubleshoot if necessary and call for repair as directed. * Provide data and information to assist with preparation of reports, impact statements, and success stories for funders, advisory committees, Board and others as requested. * Transport self, and/or program materials and resources necessary for performing position responsibilities. * Prepare and submit accurate expense reports, receipts/supporting documentation, and/or vouchers in a timely manner per established policy and procedures. * Prepare and submit accurate mileage reports and supporting documentation in a timely manner per established policy and procedures.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
* In cooperation with the Supervisor, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities. * Participate in all required orientation, training, and/or in-service meetings and trainings as scheduled/required. * Carry out assignments and other duties as assigned by supervisor, including but not limited to local fairs, community activities, etc. * Pursue personal growth through expanding personal knowledge of the total organization and through updating techniques and technical skills relating to the position. * Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Cooperative Extension programs and other duties as assigned. * Maintain regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
Health and Safety - Applies to all duties and functions
* Support the association to maintain a safe working environment. * Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard. * Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applies to all duties and functions
* Conduct all programming and activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Act, Title IX Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act, and local, state, and regional affirmative action plans. * Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public. * Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences. * Represent Cornell Cooperative Extension to community leaders, colleagues, volunteers, members of Cornell University faculty and staff, government officials and the general public in a professional manner. * Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension policies, procedures and Cornell Skills for Success. * Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner. * At all times act in a professional Customer Service manner including but not limited to business-like demeanor, tactful communications, cooperative, helpful, positive and receptive manner.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS: Hourly Wage commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including: * Vacation, Sick and Personal time * Paid Holidays * NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance) * NYS Retirement * Long-term Disability Insurance * Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity * Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts * Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance * Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance * Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance * Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance * Voluntary Auto and Homeowner's Insurance * Voluntary Pet Insurance * Voluntary New York's College Savings Program
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Internal Number: WDR-00024293
About Cornell University
In 1865, Ezra Cornell founded an institution "where any person can find instruction in any study." From the beginning, all students were welcome, regardless of race, gender, ideology, or socioeconomic status. Today, we invite you to join our talented and diverse students and accessible faculty who, together, form a living and learning community unmatched in its breadth of opportunities.Cornell University's college, schools, and other academic units offer more than 4,000 courses, 70 undergraduate majors, 93 graduate fields of study, undergraduate and advanced degrees, and continuing education and outreach programs.