Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Senior Director for Research Communications is responsible for developing and executing integrated communication initiatives related to Carnegie Mellon's research enterprise. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Communications, the senior director also will work in close coordination with the Vice President for Research. The senior director will serve as the university's editor-in-chief for its research enterprise, with primary responsibility for capturing and articulating the research-related stories that bring alive this remarkable institution, coordinating the channels through which those stories are told and ensuring execution at the highest level.
The Senior Director of Research Communications will manage research and economic development communications activities in alignment with CMU's research priorities and in collaboration with Corporate Engagement and Government Affairs. This position is responsible for developing a strategy for communicating about Carnegie Mellon's research and economic development activities in a comprehensive way and ensuring that communications activities are carried out consistent with that strategy to drive measurable results. This position requires a creative strategist with a passion for innovative storytelling and media relations and who can work closely with the analytics team to develop and utilize key performance indicators in strategic communications planning and implementation.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, business or some other relevant field; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 12-15 years as a leader in multi-channel content creation
- Management experience required; ability to lead and inspire a campus of content creators and creative personnel to achieve goals
- Familiarity with or experience working in higher education and/or research institutions
- Science, research and technology technical writing experience and the ability to make complex material easily digestible to a variety of audiences or for specialized, target audiences
- Experience in writing strategic communications & marketing plans. Demonstrated leadership in strategic communications around research with documented results
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to conceive of and execute storytelling content in line with institutional and brand objectives
- Experience handling multiple projects simultaneously and aligning with colleagues on priorities; adaptability and flexibility in direct responsibilities and collaborative work
- Research skills and business acumen with a fluency in topical news and culture
- Demonstrated ability to constructively engage with colleagues at all levels, pay close attention to details and convey information clearly and with respect and tact
- Willingness and ability to take ownership for quality and outcomes on complex university communications need
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends when appropriate
How To Apply:
Applications received by June 19th, 2023 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled. All individuals interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Your application must include a complete online application and all of the required documents below to be considered complete.
Required application materials:
* Attach a Cover Letter of no more than three (3) pages describing how you meet the professional and desired characteristics of the position.
* Attach a current Resume, including educational background, professional experience, achievements and professional activities.
Contact: Ferra Executive Search has been retained to manage the search.
If you have any inquiries or nominations, please send an email to:
Kevin Ferra, Founding Partner Ferra Executive Search email@example.com
Please use Senior Director of Research Communication as the subject line when you contact Kevin.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance